Making our own FAMILY OF FRIENDS; come join us!

Welcome! Join us so you can activly post instead of read-only by registering username & password. Then fill out your profile page w/state & year born at least, so we can know each other, as friends & family...WE LOOK FORWARD TO KNOWING YOU !

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome! Join us so you can activly post instead of read-only by registering username & password. Then fill out your profile page w/state & year born at least, so we can know each other, as friends & family...WE LOOK FORWARD TO KNOWING YOU !

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A friendship forum; for survivors of any victimization; in need of casual yet trusted friendship. Everyone's investing precious time & energy in each other, reaching out our hand, out of sincerity & innocent love to everyone.

Keywords

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 506 messages in 451 subjects

We have 35 registered users

The newest registered user is amedicalstudent

Latest topics

» Country Instrumental Music Playlists
Memories do you remeber then? Icon_minitimeNovember 18th 2011, 10:16 pm by mello-dee-ann

» Banjo Music --Blue Grass
Memories do you remeber then? Icon_minitimeNovember 18th 2011, 10:13 pm by mello-dee-ann

» Banjo Music --Blue Grass
Memories do you remeber then? Icon_minitimeNovember 18th 2011, 10:13 pm by mello-dee-ann

» Irish Music
Memories do you remeber then? Icon_minitimeNovember 16th 2011, 2:32 am by mello-dee-ann

» Celtic Music & Song
Memories do you remeber then? Icon_minitimeNovember 16th 2011, 2:28 am by mello-dee-ann

» BagPipes
Memories do you remeber then? Icon_minitimeNovember 16th 2011, 2:18 am by mello-dee-ann

» Accordian Music
Memories do you remeber then? Icon_minitimeNovember 16th 2011, 2:16 am by mello-dee-ann

» Learn Harmonica
Memories do you remeber then? Icon_minitimeNovember 16th 2011, 2:05 am by mello-dee-ann

» Tutorial --Play Music on Crystal Goblets
Memories do you remeber then? Icon_minitimeNovember 16th 2011, 2:00 am by mello-dee-ann

May 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Memories do you remeber then?

mello-dee-ann
    mello-dee-ann
    Admin

Memories do you remeber then? Empty Memories do you remeber then?

Post by mello-dee-ann

Someone asked the other day, 'What was your favorite fast food when you were growing up?'
    'We didn't have fast food when I was growing up,' I informed him. 'All the food was slow.'

'C'mon, seriously. Where did you eat?'
    'It was a place called 'at home,'' I explained. !
    'Mum cooked every day and when Dad got home from work, we sat down together at the dining room table, and if I didn't like what she put on my plate I was allowed to sit there until I did like it.'

By this time, the kid was laughing so hard I was afraid he was going to suffer serious internal damage, so I didn't tell him the part about how I had to have permission to leave the table.
    But here are some other things I would have told him about my childhood if I figured his system could have handled it :
    Some parents NEVER owned their own house, wore Levis , set foot on a golf course, traveled out of the country or had a credit card.
    My parents never drove me to school. I had a bicycle that weighed probably 50 pounds, and only had one speed, (slow).
    We didn't have a television in our house until I was 19.
    It was, of course, black and white, and the station went off the air at midnight, after playing the national anthem and a poem about God; it came back on the air at about 6 a.m. and there was usually a locally produced news and farm show on, featuring local people...

I never had a telephone in my room.The only phone was on a party line. Before you could dial, you had to listen and make sure some people you didn't know weren't already using the line.

Pizzas were not delivered to our home... But milk was.
    All newspapers were delivered by boys and all boys delivered newspapers --my brother delivered a newspaper, six days a week. He had to get up at 6AM every morning.
    Movie stars kissed with their mouths shut. At least, they did in the movies. There were no movie ratings because all movies were responsibly produced for everyone to enjoy viewing, without profanity or violence or most anything offensive.

If you grew up in a generation before there was fast food, you may want to share some of these memories with your children or grandchildren. Just don't blame me if they bust a gut laughing.
    Growing up isn't what it used to be, is it?

MEMORIES from a friend :My Dad is cleaning out my grandmother's house (she died in December) and he brought me an old Royal Crown Cola bottle. In the bottle top was a stopper with a bunch of holes in it.. I knew immediately what it was, but my daughter had no idea. She thought they had tried to make it a salt shaker or something. I knew it as the bottle that sat on the end of the ironing board to 'sprinkle' clothes with because we didn't have steam irons. Man, I am old.

How many do you remember?Head lights dimmer switches on the floor.
    Ignition switches on the dashboard.
    Pant leg clips for bicycles without chain guards.
    Soldering irons you heat on a gas burner.
    Using hand signals for cars without turn signals.

Older Than Dirt Quiz :
    Count all the ones that you remember not the ones you were told about.
    Ratings at the bottom.

1.Candy cigarettes
    2.Coffee shops with tableside juke boxes
    3.Home milk delivery in glass bottles
    4. Party lines on the telephone
    5.Newsreels before the movie
    6..TV test patterns that came on at night after the last show and were there until TV shows started again in the morning. (there were only 3 channels [if you were fortunate])
    7.Peashooters
    8. Howdy Doody
    9. 45 RPM records
    10.Hi-fi's
    11. Metal ice trays with lever
    12. Blue flashbulb
    13.Cork popguns
    14. Studebakers
    15. Wash tub wringers

If you remembered 0-3 = You're still young
    If you remembered 3-6 = You are getting older
    If you remembered 7-10 = Don't tell your age,
    If you remembered 11-15 =You're older than dirt!

I might be older than dirt but those memories are some of the best parts of my life.
    Thought you might enjoy going back in time for a bit. Have a great day Kyle

Share this post on: reddit

mello-dee-ann

Post September 26th 2011, 9:37 pm by mello-dee-ann

worse than remembering all of these things (which I do) .. I still have my pump bb gun (it was my dad's before me)

I also remember the Ice man coming round in the truck to deliver ice for the.. ready.. ICE BOX

My first car had a push button gear shift.. on the dash.

Im sure there's more.. I'm probably too old to remember !

mello-dee-ann

Post September 26th 2011, 9:39 pm by mello-dee-ann

Well Kyle that is a hell of a reminder of being older then dirt but those were the days and here's a couple more we can add to the list.

P.F. Flyers --S&H Green Stamps --Roller skate keys---Soda pop machines that dispensed bottle ---Telephone numbers with a word prefix (OLive-6933)---Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water.

I remember I got a pair of PF flyers and I swore I was jumping at lest 3 feet higher and you couldn't tell me different. And the phone # deal in my area was Tremont so all phone numbers started with TR-then 5#'s. I can still remember my old phone number it was TR-40870 but don't ask me what happened yesterday lol

And if feeling old is making you sad then here is a little joke for ya's
    A mother and her son were flying Southwest Airlines from Kansas City to Chicago. The son (who had been looking out the window) turned to his mother and asked, "If big dogs have baby dogs and big cats have baby cats, why don't big planes have baby planes?"

The mother (who couldn't think of an answer) told her son to ask the stewardess So the boy asked the stewardess, "If big dogs have baby dogs and big cats have baby cats, why don't big planes have baby planes?"

The stewardess responded, "Did your mother tell you to ask me?" The boy admitted that this was the case. "Well, then, tell your mother that there are no baby planes because Southwest always pulls out on time. Your mother can explain that to you."

mello-dee-ann

Post September 26th 2011, 9:40 pm by mello-dee-ann

my grandma saved green stamps, I remember. Skate keys, and I have about a 50 soda bottle collection from that era. A few soda's people may remember other that the basic pepsi, coke, Dr. Pepper are....Jic-Jac, Orange Crush, Tylers, Nehi orangette,grapette,lemonette, strawberry, Mountain Dew bottled by Zeke and Daisy Dew, Chief, Sunrise, Fanta, RC, I am drawing a blank on some of the others I have bottles of right now.
    Used to dump a bag of peanuts in my Coca-Cola at the barbers shop on Saturday mornings while waiting for a haircut.

mello-dee-ann

Post September 26th 2011, 9:42 pm by mello-dee-ann

I, too, am a 15. We had no TV because we had kerosene lamps. We played outside and our siblings were also our best friends. By the way, there were 11 of us so meal time was in stages. My mother always the last one to sit down.
    Cheyenne, my first car was a '49 Chevy that I paid $40.00 for. I bought this car in 1960 and drove it till I got married in 1962. I love going back in time!!!!

mello-dee-ann

Post September 26th 2011, 9:43 pm by mello-dee-ann

Yeah, TV. Didn't know what it was till I was 7 (years) old. B+W. Complete with two or three channels and test patterns. We had electricity, most of the time. Kerosene heaters for heat though. I tipped one over once, practically burned the house down. I'm was never told I could come out of my room. Guess I should still be there. Cars? My dad and I (well I watched till I got old enough to hold something in my hand, like a nut or screw) could tear down those flat head sixes and rebuild them in less than 6 hours. Well, I know it was done in one day anyway. We could even get to the oil filter without looking. The cars then were not as reliable as they are now. Tires blew out (tubes in the tires remember?), hoses leaked, belts snapped, fuel pumps went out. But we could fix anything on the side of any road. We kind of knew the cars and their likely failures so we just kept spare parts in the trunk that could hold all your earthly possessions. Either the trunks were huge or we did'n;t have anything.

mello-dee-ann

Post September 26th 2011, 9:43 pm by mello-dee-ann

The milk man was cool, well, the truck was, he was nice. Gave me ice coming home from school when it was hot which was all the time. We even had a little general store and my mother would call in what she needed and they would pick it off the shelves, put it in a basket and deliver it. Of course there were only two kinds of cereal; small box of corn flakes and a large box of corn flakes. Deodorant? What was that?. Soap? tough decision. Ivory or Ivory. Dishwasher soap? No dishwashers. Sorry. cigarettes? Of course. Any kind. Lucky Strike or Camel. And we did not touch Dad's cigarettes. Neither did Mom! Dog food? Why? They ate table scraps. Now meats? Well, now you're talking: any cut you want and it was from a real cow too! I went in that store many times. It was the size of my living dining area. And it had everything. A 5 year old could get lost. Sorry, no ice cream. Either made your own or went without. We went without.

mello-dee-ann

Post September 26th 2011, 9:44 pm by mello-dee-ann

Wow……………I think a few things were left out. These are a dozen I remember.

1. Doctors made house calls

2. When the fish bowl looking TV went out you took out all the tubes and went down to the IGA store and tested them until you found the one that was bad.

3. A three holer was our bathroom (No Jack not a par 3) Though it was a good 5 iron shot from the house. A long distance in the winter.

4. Running water came from a pump handle

5. Chores was something you did before going to school and got back on when you got home. Except Sundays when we went to church.

6. Our family vehicle was a Rambler (Don’t even know if I spelled it right)
    I think the 1st push button automatic came out on the Ambassador?

7. The razor strap hanging in the kitchen wasn’t used only for sharpening razors.

8. Elders were respected and most conversations /questions where answered with Mam, Mrs, Miss, Sir or Mr.

9. Stealing, lying, trouble at school….etc Refer to # 7

10. You asked the parents permission to date their daughter and suffered through the 3rd degree..

11. The lawnmower was a push one with out an engine

12. Most importantly……………No meant No! end of discussion!

All in all those were the good years and life was a whole lot simpler. Being raised in a poor farming family thought me lessons that I use everyday.

Simpleone
    mello-dee-ann

Post September 26th 2011, 9:45 pm by mello-dee-ann

I remember a man in a horse and buggy used to come by to sell his wares like fabric and household products.. Yes, I lived in the country actually the only house on the road yet today.. My mom would always make us hide when the man came in the buggy, she must of thought he would kidnap kids... We were told stories about gypsies kidnapping children...

We also had a Fuller Brush man that came by car to sell his wares too.. and the Watkins man too...

Going to 4-H meetings in the Townhall monthly and weekly Photographic classes and Cooking Class to..Exhibiting at the County Fairs.. Great Fun our children and grandchildren will probably never experience...

Riding horseback to town about 5 miles away.. or riding the bike to town.. to visit friends as there were few kids in the country...Oh! those were the days...
    mello-dee-ann

Post September 26th 2011, 9:45 pm by mello-dee-ann

OK, When our ice was delivered we kept excess in a ice house and covered it with sawdust so it wouldn't melt too fast.
    Our phone had a crank. I still have a icebox and metal Coca Cola ice chests.
    Have the fold up stand for 2 wash tubs and a wringer in the middle. I use the stand for a tv stand. Have a Hoosier kitchen cabinet with a roll up section and a flour sifter. a cabinet model Silvertone record player that you crank and plays 78 rpm. My 1st car was a '37 Ford paid $25 for it from my cousin, I was 14 and drove it (actually raced it) around the block, our block was about 5 miles around. No license, registration, no lights. But the radio worked and it ran good. Oh and no muffler. When the battery was low I could crank it. Made our own icecream in a unit using ice and rock salt. My grandfather didn't own a tractor. He had a team of horses. Milked cows by hand even still after his son bought a milking machine. Had a radio in the cow barn (this was in Vermont) and could listen to WWVA out of Wheeling W Va. Got out of the Army in "61 and bought a '41 J3 Piper Cub for $1500. Had to start it by hand (pull the prop).no electrical, no radio, cruise at 65 mph.

mello-dee-ann

Post September 26th 2011, 9:46 pm by mello-dee-ann

We had the crank phone also. I still remember when we got the first dial phone my mom said she would never use it because it was to complicated.. we still laugh at that because she became a regular on it real soon..Our phone number on dial system was Ulysess8745. Funny how all the memories start to flow back in your mind..
    Does anyone remember shelling corn for the animals with a corn sheller one ear at a time. Or hiding in the bales of hay or loose hay in the barn...The old grain bin with the mice and rats as neighbors...The old corncrib nearby..
    We had an old blacksmith shop on the farm that we still dig up old horseshoes in the garden nearby..

mello-dee-ann

Post September 26th 2011, 9:47 pm by mello-dee-ann

We used to make ice cream in a container that had a crank and nearly killed us - we'd do it in the snow in winter so it would freeze. I still remember the wonderful taste.

Anyone remember rumble seats? Now that was a place for romance! No action, though, not enough room. My dad had to make our own rumble seat. With 11 kids, we could never all go to the store at the same time, but our car would hold 2 people in the front, 3 kids in the backseat and 3 kids in the trunk. My dad would take the trunk lid off and leave it at house.
    I also was raised in the country and knew what "or else" meant.

Went to the movie for a dime and had to beg my dad for that. We knew right from wrong and stayed away from kids that were trouble makers.
    I am glad for the "good ole days", but I don't want to give up my easy way of life now. I don't have to make soap anymore or take a bath in the wash tub. Always wanted to be first for the bath, but never was. I didn't have indoor plumbing till I got married. I don't know how our parents made it. I don't remember mine ever complaining.

We called the McNess man the blanket man and we hid when he came because my mother usually owed him some money and she wouldn't have it. If she had the money, we would all go to the door and look over his wares. It was a good life

mello-dee-ann

Post September 26th 2011, 9:49 pm by mello-dee-ann

I remember the first McDonalds in our town. I was in my twenties probably. They only hired boys and had very little on the menu. You got it very fast. No waiting even though it was crowded.

My question is, "Did any of you ever play the busy signal?" My friends and I did and we took numbers but never gave ours. It was so much fun to call the other kids who were playing. My mom probably didn't know we did it.

I believe it was "Do you have Sir Albert in a can?" Well, then let him out!
    How well I remember the "strap." My Mother had one hanging in the kitchen with my name on it.

mello-dee-ann

Post September 26th 2011, 9:50 pm by mello-dee-ann

I do remember going to the corner store and buying a pack of chewing gum for 1 penny and the maryjanes and squirrels. I went to a catholic school so I remember wearing uniforms and if the bottom of the skirt did not touch the floor when you knelt down then the nun would take a seam ripper and lower for you. Then there was the school dances. We had a nun that would go around with a 6" ruler to make sure that the girls and guys were that far apart when dancing slow. Lot of good that did, 75% of the girls got pregnant before getting married. I also remember walking to school and cutting through alleys(wouldn't dare do that now). Anyone remember the Sheenee man? It was a junk collector that would go through the alleys on a wagon pulled by a horse, blowing a horn. I'd give anything to have those good 'ol days back again....Mary

mello-dee-ann

Post September 26th 2011, 9:52 pm by mello-dee-ann

McDonalds was around when I was a kid but the only time you went there was for a special occasion. All the kids got good grades or something like that. Mom cooked dinners and on Sundays it was always a big family dinner. Never ate out on Sundays.

You guys mentioned having BB guns, Boy were you lucky. We use to find sticks and use them to play war games. Nothing like a bunch of kids running around pointing sticks at each other yelling pow pow. If you got shot you had to fall down for 10 seconds and wait to get back in the game. You also couldn't stand over the guy and wait until they got up to shot again. You had to run and hide.

I remember distributer caps and points you changed in a car. If you didn't have a feeler gauge, you used a dime to make your adjustments.

The phone was for the grown ups. If you wanted to talk to someone, you went over to their house.
    Here is something that most people do not even know about or at least I have yet to run across anyone who has experienced this. Converting your black and white TV to color by hanging a three color shaded plastic piece over the picture tube.

I remember a choke on the car you had to adjust.
    Ice man , mom emptying tray from ice melting in the ice box. I always wondered (even at 4 ) why she waited till it would spill all over to remove it, lol.

Horsedrawn vegetable cart, man stopping by to sharpen knives for you, staring at the indian head test pattern till Howdy doody came on.

Stockings with seams , first frozen food dinner from Swanson (ugh).

mello-dee-ann

Post September 26th 2011, 9:54 pm by mello-dee-ann

I remember paying 14 cents for the Saturday matinee. I would collect pop bottles and sell them for the deposit to get my money for the "show" as we called it then.
    I owned a Studebaker, actually 2 a '51 and a '62. Also had a Plymouth, Corvair, a friend had a Edsel with push button (juke box) tranny. Plymouth Valiant also had juke box tranny.
    Does anyone remember a traffic light finder? It was a little add on, a plastic prism that you mount on the dash by the windshield. If your car had an outside windshield visor the finder would reflect the light so you could see it. I found one last year that I had stashed away to put on my '50 Ford. It was still new in the box. Still with the $10 receipt. I sold it on Ebay for $317. How about a airconditioner for your car? You put ice in it and hang it outside your window? Spot lights, fenderskirts, fuzzy dice. I remember when there were no McDonalds in the state of Vt. A&W Rootbeer and carhops on roller skates.

mello-dee-ann

Post September 26th 2011, 9:56 pm by mello-dee-ann

I'd be remiss in not remembering walking 3 miles to school with snow up to my waist. At one point we rode the school bus and would pray for snow and enough that we might be able to stay home.
    As we kids came home from school we had to stoke the wood stoves and get the house warm, right, we never did get warm in the winter. I remember opening the stove door, putting in some wood, throwing in a little kerosene and lighting a match and watch the poof, shut the door and wait for the chimney to get red. Shut off the damper and you are done, for now. Repeat when necessary. My mother cooked on a wood stove for many years.

Oooh, loved those wax red lips. First your pretended you were kissing a movie star, then you chewed them up.
    I remember the party lines, and our phone number prefix was EM (Empire). I hated the metal ice trays - if you weren't careful, your fingers would stick to them.

TV: Wonderful World of Disney, Sky King, Engineer Bill (Red light Green light), Chucko the Birthday Clown, Video Village (game show)...

Our ice cream truck was the "Good Humor Man" and we had a Helm's bakery truck that came by every day with fresh baked donuts, cookies, pies, YUMM!!! I used to sneak a note in our empty milk bottles and ask for a quart of chocolate milk on the next delivery.

We made rubber band guns with sticks and clothespins, had dirt clod fights in the field (yes, I was quite a tomboy).

We had a Curry's Ice Cream Parlor with the jukebox on the counter, and a machine (Genie?) that gave you fortunes for a penny. Cherry and Vanilla cokes... Drive in Movies....

mello-dee-ann

Post September 26th 2011, 9:57 pm by mello-dee-ann

I remember the 9" tv the other grandparents had.. We didn't get a TV until I was about 10 yrs old and it set on a table about 14"-15". About Howdy Doody and in Michigan "Soupy Sales" on Channel 7 at lunch time... also the cowboys: Roy Rogers and Dale Evans,Lone Ranger and Hopp- Along Cassidy on Saturdays..
    My sons and granddaughter sure have missed the good ole days...
    It is funny now to hear them relate to our granddaughter when they were growing up; they think they had hard times and then I tell them what we had and also relate some of the depression times my parent went thru and then they think differently. wow !!we weren't so bad. Funny how each generation feels things were kind of bad for each of them..
    I remember growing up and my father working on restoring old cars..

Post  by Sponsored content